Sunday, November 20, 2011

Holiday Traditions

My cousin Susan sent me an email yesterday, asking if I had our grandmother's recipe for Scalloped Oysters, which she wanted to serve for Thanksgiving dinner.   Fortunately, when Grandma Robertson passed away several years ago, I ran across her recipe notebooks while cleaning out her house.  She never had a "formal" cookbook that I'm aware of, but instead wrote out by hand whatever recipes she used, or filled the notebooks with clipped recipes from the newspaper.  I love to go through the tattered, well used notebooks, and see her hand written notations of where she got the recipe, and if it was a favorite, her "good" notation.
I'm fortunate to be the cousin who inherited the handwritten recipes, but my cousin's inquiry made me realize that I should scan the recipes and put them into a family cookbook for my cousins to enjoy as well.  If you have something that belonged to a ancestor that you think your cousins might enjoy as well, now is the time to making a plan for how you can share your treasures with others in the family.

Mildred Gannan Robertson's Scalloped Oysters


2 cans oysters
2 c. medium coarse cracker crumbs (4 - 6 crackers)
1/2 c. butter, melted
3/4 c. half and half cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. worcestershire sauce


Drain oysters, reserving 1/4 c. liquid. Combine crumbs and butter.  Spread 1/3 of the crumbs in an 8x8x2" baking dish.  Cover with 1/2 of the oysters.  Sprinkle with pepper, cover again with 1/3 of the crumbs.  Cover with the remaining oysters.  Mix cream and reserved oyster liquid, salt, and worcestershire sauce, pour over oysters.  Top with remaining cracker crumbs.  Take in 350 degree oven about 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment