Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Digital Memories

Like everyone else, I have a box of old VHS and micro-cassette home movie tapes stored in the back of the closet, begging to be digitized.  Luckily, my brother John owns a small company that does just that, so he graciously offered to tackle the job of converting all my tapes to a more permanent digital format.
John sent me a message this evening, telling me to check our shared DropBox folder, to review the first clip he had digitized.
This small clip brought tears to my eyes, as I heard my Grandfather's laughter for the first time in many years.  It's an inconsequential little movie, taken in the backyard of my grandparent's house when my son was not quite a year old, but it brought back very powerful memories of all the wonderful times spent with them.   My grandfather passed away in 1986, and my grandmother in 2004, so having this digital memory is such a wonderful thing.
I know the box of tapes will hold many more digital memories, and can't wait to see what else we uncover.   If you have a box of old tapes sitting around, what are you waiting for?!!  Convert them and see what treasures they hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment