Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sometimes It's a Small Note That Has the Biggest Impact

My great-grandfather, John William Gannan, was a hard-working dairy farmer from Harrison County, Missouri.  I had the great good fortune to know both he and my great-grandmother, Jane Waterbury Gannan, well into my teens and early 20's.  (My profile photo is Jane on the family farm, probably waiting for my great-grandfather to bring in the cattle from pasture.)

I received this note from Grandpa in 1978, the year I graduated from Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg, Missouri.  I had worked summers and during the school year, sometimes three jobs at the same time, in order to put myself through college.  For some reason, this note was very inspiring to me, and I've kept it all these years.

  
Grandpa probably never attended school beyond grade school, but he was very proud of the fact that I was able to finish college.  

Here's a couple of photos of Grandpa.



The last photo is of my great grandfather (on the left), and his son Harold Gannan, who stayed on at home to help run the farm.

Miss you, Grandma and Grandpa!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! What a treasure to have such a note. Your great grandfather was a handsome young man and a kind and sweet looking guy in his golden years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, that is so, so sweet, what a wonder memento to have!! Go MULES!!! :)

    ReplyDelete