Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Where The Heck Did THAT Come From?

As you can tell from my blog's name, I have been hunting my great-great-great grandfather, John Gannan, for many years.  He remains perhaps the most elusive brick wall in the family tree.
I was working on a research plan today for how to tackle old John in 2012, which included documenting "known facts."  I ran across a Family History Sheet someone had deposited in the local genealogical society files, listing his middle name as "Benjamin," along with death dates for two of his daughters.   The problem with the record is that there are no sources listed.  I have no idea where the middle name "Benjamin" came from, or if there are additional records that weren't filed with the sheet.  Fortunately, there was a name, address, and phone number of the family historian who provided the info, so I just dashed off a note to him asking for sources.  Old school genealogy:  pen, paper, and a stamp.
The moral of this story is, before I post anything on-line or at a genealogical society, I'll be extra careful to include my source information.

No comments:

Post a Comment